Monday, April 5, 2010

Brick Workouts

Today was my 3rd attempt at a brick workout. A while ago I ran a quick 2.5 miles after an hour of spinning. Then last week I did a 30 minute spin with a 3.5 mile treadmill run. The treadmill wasn't tough...felt great after the spinning. Then I decided to try another brick workout today- all outside.
I biked a 12 mile ride (complete with head wind). My legs felt strong as I tried my darndest to battle thru the wind. I tried to save some juice for the run part. I pulled into my driveway to ditch my bike for my sneaks. As I started my run session, I was smacked with the understanding of the word "brick". As in brick legs! My legs felt like dead weights. My mind was telling my legs to pick up the pace, they just didn't feel like they were listening. I felt like someone was pulling on my ankels as I tredged up the slight incline that leads me into Sherrill. I thoguth I was headed for a 10 minute mile. When I glanced at my watch at the mile mark, I was happily looking down at 7:28. Not bad for a first real brick workout run session. I knew I had 2.5 miles to go, so anything could happen.
The brick legs feeling wore off, towards the middle of the run even though, my legs didn't feel fresh either. I hit the last mile marker, one more to go! I gave it my all I had at that moment. I wanted to mimic pulling deep down into my energy back, like I would in a real Tri. Unfortunately going slow is not in my DNA unless it's over 8 miles of running.
I picked up the pace as I closed in on my house. Knowing I was going to be able to stop soon helped as it always does. I glanced at my watch...7:28 again. I was so proud of myself! I was able to run hard at a good pace! Now all I have to do is add 3-5 more miles on the bike and a 800 meter swim. :)

My average bike pace was 16.7 (damn head wind)
My average run pace was 7:35 (obviously not my fist and last splits)
Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment